Saturday, May 11, 2013

It's the 90s again!

     Last weekend we went to a new Pier One that opened and had lunch at Subway.  We also had to go to Nebraska Furniture Mart to get Matt a new couch for his man cave.  The one he ordered wouldn't fit past the front door because there is a closet right in front of it that takes up a lot of space. He was disappointed but he found a new set he likes just as much.

      Somehow I've either gotten rid of most of my clothes or they just don't fit anymore.  I ended up with more work clothes than anything else.  I needed tank tops and shorts and we decided to look at Gordmans.  I'm not sure what's going on with fashion these days but apparently no one thinks you should need to wear a bra. Also it is nearly impossible to find anything with  a shape. There are lots of sheer tops or lace tops that require a camisole or bandeau bra underneath; I don't want to wear layers when it's 95 degrees out.  When I found a solid shirt it would be all lace or sheer material on the back or at least at the shoulders.  Then there are crop tops.  It's the 90s again! I say that, not with excitement, but with pure rage and disgust.  Alright, rage is an exaggeration. Obviously, I already lived in the 90s and they weren't that long ago.  We wore some ugly shit.  I have no desire to relive it. I got very frustrated when I couldn't even find anything to try on.  As for shorts,  they no longer carry the dress shorts I like to wear.  I don't want anything too short or tight against my huge-ass thighs.

     I tried the missy section and found exactly 3 tank tops; none were my style.  I left empty handed and pissed off.  This week I tried Kohls and had better luck.  This is because I gave up.  I found a t-shirt with a lace front that I can wear a cami underneath, a really cute dress, a 3/4 sleeved gingham button down, and a dark mint green purse.  These became my Mother's day gifts.  I tried on several lacey and sheer tops that did not look good on me.  I found some tank tops but they were all tent-like and/or sheer.  Whatever I'm looking for doesn't exist anymore.  There are a lot of sleeveless shirts shaped like this instead:

     In the end, I gave into the damn sheer trend; but I did it my way.  I bought three 60s inspired tops from Modcloth:


     Are they shapeless still?  Yes.  However I won't be getting flashbacks from the days when I wore leggings with straps on the feet and a huge sweatshirt with a giant smiley face in the middle.  If you love the 90s, more power to you.  Perhaps you will pull the look off better than me.

     Have a great weekend and a happy Mother's Day!

No comments: