Saturday, November 19, 2011

A Wedding, an Engagement and Why Matt's Parent's Think I'm Insane

Emilee is engaged!  I'm so excited!  I met her freshman year of college.  We sat by each other in English class, I admired her purse, and we ended up being roommates for about 2 years.  She was one of my bridesmaids of course.  Aaron actually went to Peru too, and we talked to him some in school but never got to know him very well.  He noticed her at graduation, thought she was cute and asked her out.  I'm pretty sure that's the story.

I found out while I was in Virginia for Matt's Uncle Ed's wedding with Kate.  I was sitting at my table at the reception, got the text from Emilee, flew out of my chair which knocked it over and when I told Matt "Emilee is engaged!!!" he said "your chair fell over."  Um thanks for the support. Men.

The wedding was beautiful, it was in the country at an old house that was built in the 1800's and is now an Inn.  There were still some colorful leaves on the trees so I took about 50 million pictures because the countryside was so gorgeous.  They got married under a tree on top of a hill so you could see all the rolling hills in the background.  Her dress was so beautiful!  It was an awesome vintage-y themed wedding.  Her bouquet was made mostly of broaches passed down in the family.


 This is the front of the Inn/Ranch whatever you want to call it.

 This is a view on the way up to the house.


 The back of the house.  Isn't it pretty! 

 My husband :) (When will it get old to say that?)

 My super professional picture of the stone walls I was obsessed with.  All over the place.  They must have taken forever to build.
 This is where they got married.


 They did a binding ceremony (? or something) it was very sweet and different.


 I didn't get any pictures with her eyes open but you have to see her dress.



 Super flattering and professional self portrait.


This is a house that was downhill from the Inn.  The bridesmaids stayed there after the wedding.

I got to talk to Matt's grandma a lot.  She has been through a lot in her life and her husband died before Matt was even born.  I can't imagine living that long without Matt :(  I met tons of relatives and they were all sweet, warm welcoming people.  I know I am part of the family but there's a difference when you actually FEEL like it.  They made me feel like family.  Ed drove us around DC to see the sights from the car.  I told Matt that's as much as I desire to do in DC except I want to go to the holocaust museum and maybe a couple others.  I appreciate that its historical but I just hate crowds. Also, I generally hate leaving my house.  I would rather go to a living history museum!  But then I would be jealous that I was wearing modern clothes and they got to wear pretty dresses.  I always thought it would be fun to work at one but I'm brown so that's not historically accurate.  I don't think they would put the brown girl in the pretty dresses.

Matt's poor parents have learned several of my idiosyncrasies/issues.  Like how I don't like shiny food, leftovers, nuts, sleeping in front of people, talking about anything that has to do with the body, strangers, disorganization, driving fast, anything that requires ugly clothing, mini bags of popcorn because they burn easily, etc. etc.

I've been holding back and have not decorated for Christmas yet; however Matt came home to me cooking and blasting an Andy Williams Christmas cd the other night.  The old music is what takes me back to my childhood Christmas's.  I've also been dragging him to the Christmas section whenever we go out. I tried to get Matt into the Christmas spirit by letting him pick out an ornament for the tree.  You can see where this is going.

I picked this out:



He picked this.  I asked him 12 times if he was serious.  

Matt named him Chester. He is cute and all, but most of the things I bought were glittery.  I guess I did say I wanted a hodgepodge tree.  It's better than Star Wars or Spiderman right?

No comments: