Thursday, February 16, 2012

Don’t be the honey badger, give a shit

     Ever since childhood I’ve been very passionate about saving the earth.  It started with animal rights I believe; then I added more causes like recycling, the right to life, not wasting things, and then I became the littering police.  I’m a tree hugger. I’m sure I was a joy to live with.  We went camping the summer after senior year of high school and on the way there my friend Laura was about to throw a pop bottle out of the car window.  I was really quiet in high school, I was “that sweet and innocent girl” (except when people got mad that I started dating Matt because he was my ex-boyfriend’s friend and I got called a few choice words but that’s a different story.) Anyways, everyone was really shocked when I screamed at the top of my lungs and told Laura “don’t you dare throw that out the window and litter!!!!!”  I think I scared the crap out of her.  I was also furious when they attacked a tree with an axe later that day.  Can you see why I chose to cloth diaper?  Any other choice would have made me a total hypocrite; except “elimination communication”, which would make me go insane.
     The point is we are supposed to recycle in my home. Matt has been taught all about it and while he doesn’t really care about the cause, he normally does it to avoid being nagged. He was doing well for awhile.  Lately I’ve been finding things in the trash that were supposed to be recycled.  This morning it was my jar of strawberry jam (that had enough jam to make another sandwich which also made me mad; what a waste) and a bunch of plastic bags.  Two days ago the soda box was sitting on the counter, empty and it needed to go into the recycling bin.  So I picked it up and low and behold there was trash shoved in it, including a bunch of candy bar crumbs.  I may have dumped it all off on the counter, recycled the box and walked off in a huff.  I’ve nagged, I thought about putting a sign above the trash that reminds him to recycle, I’ve tried the guilt trip about his child’s future, and nothing has changed.  So I decided to put the recycling right next to the trashcan even though there is no room and it wont look pretty, and I’m going to put a picture of the honey badger on it that says “don’t be the honey badger, give a shit.”  If that doesn’t work I’m going to tell his mother.
     And now for something completely different.  It’s finally starting to seem real to me that there is a baby on the way.  All of a sudden I started thinking about how awesome it will be to have him here for the holidays.  I keep imagining dancing around to the ghost busters song and decorating for Halloween with him (while he sits in a sling or his bouncer and looks at me like a crazy person.)  Oh and can’t you picture him/her posing with pumpkins for a photo!  Think of the baby Star Wars Halloween costume!  I am getting way too excited.  Even though the baby won’t care too much about the holidays yet I can always pretend.  As he gets older I will be able indoctrinate him into my holiday obsession.   At the very least I can teach him or her to be a recycling fiend.

No comments: