Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I'm not making this shit up

     The first part of my post is going to be a little gross, just a fair warning.  There is this trend called the “lotus birth” which is where you birth the baby and wait to cut the umbilical cord.  In fact you never cut the umbilical cord.  You carry the placenta around attached to the baby, in a bag or bowl and let it fall off when it’s good and ready.  Side note: If anyone I know ever decides to do this, I will not be carrying that baby til it falls off.  Some people rub lavender, sea salt, herbs and other things on the placenta to help it dry out and keep from smelling.  Now when it finally falls off, some people bury it or stick it in their freezer.  I found an article where, a year later, they used the placenta to make an art project.  I’m not joking.  They unfroze it and used it like a stamp or something.  The rationale behind all this, is that the placenta has an emotional and spiritual connection to the baby.  It seems to me that it would also be a bacterial connection once that thing sits in a bowl or bag for a day.  The whole thing just freaks me out. 

     There are a lot of trends my generation is following that scare me and seem unsafe to me.  My mom didn't practice any of these and I turned out just fine.  To each his own, that’s part of being in America, but my baby wont be wearing a beaded necklace for teething,  (it’s an amber necklace that supposedly stops the pain) or eating solid, unmashed food at 6 months, (baby led weaning) or attached to her placenta for several days (Matt should just eat it) and we wont be co-sleeping (we are not sound sleepers). He will definitely be immunized and will sleep in our room for several months, be breast fed and cloth diapered.  I’m looking into donating the umbilical cord as well.  I’m also trying to convince Matt that we can afford for me to stay at home.  So now that you probably learned something new that you didn’t want to know, I’ll leave you with this:

On the off chance you thought I was serious, Matt will NOT be eating the placenta.  That’s nasty.

Speaking of nasty, there's been a lot of drama around my family this week and I think we all need some comic relief.  You should watch this video.  I apologize if you think it's really stupid.  It's about the honey badger.



No comments: