Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Not your mama's cloth diapers


Besides the few “are you crazy” looks I have gotten, I have mostly felt support for my decision to cloth diaper.  In case anyone still thinks I am crazy, this post is about why I chose to cloth diaper, and what cloth diapering is like nowadays.

Why cloth diaper?

1. As I shared a few posts ago, I am a tree hugger.  I would never actually chain myself to a tree because I’m way too high maintenance for that but I do want to lessen my imprint on the earth.  The only problem with this is, you can either use disposables and add tons of waste to the landfills or you wash cloth diapers and use a lot of water and energy. I’m picking my poison.  So I don’t think there should be a huge debate about who is better, it’s just a personal choice.  This isn’t really helping my case a lot though.

2.  Have I mentioned how ADORABLE cloth diapers are?  They come in so many colors. I think Matt could even get excited about buying them.  I’m not a fan of prints though.

3.  Personally I think they seem more comfortable.  The ones I purchased so far are made of soft cotton on the inside.  There’s a debate about which method causes more diaper rashes but I think as long as you change the diaper when the baby needs it you are probably pretty safe.

4. Cost.  I am nothing if not frugal.  There is more of a cost upfront because each diaper costs around $18 but if you take care of them you can use them for all of your kids.  I am buying “one size” diapers which you can use the whole time the baby is in diapers.  It has tons of snaps so it can grow with the baby.  Let’s just say we have 4 kids.  If I buy about 30 diapers at $18 each it will cost $540.  Then you have to add energy costs and special detergent. So that might add up to $150. I might not be completely correct about all the costs but there is a difference.  Also, I wont really know how much I need until baby gets here.  Also, we are technically going to use disposables for the first couple weeks or so.

     I suck at math so I found a chart.  The cost of disposable diapers depends on the size of the diaper; also the baby needs less as he gets older so the chart I found had a grand total of $2577.35 from birth to potty training (2 1/2 years) with an average cost-per-change of $0.36.  If these calculations are correct and I have 4 kids I will pay $10309.40 by the end of our diapering days.  That’s about how much I will pay for daycare in a year if Matt doesn’t agree to let me stay home. (hint hint Matt)

How have cloth diapers changed, and why do you presume to know anything about my mama?

The first time I heard that people still cloth diaper, my first thought was “yuck.”  My second thought was “wow that’s old fashioned, and even though I like old fashioned things there is a reason people moved away from that practice” 

Besides being a frugal tree hugger I am also really curious.  So I did tons of research on cloth diapers and it took me awhile to figure out what the heck everyone was talking about.  There are so many different kinds now. 

Prefolds: These are the kind one normally thinks of when they think of cloth diapers.  They consist of absorbent cloth folded into a rectangle that you cover the baby with, and then you secure it and put a cover over it.  For the most part, gone are the plastic pants and safety pins. Now the covers are cloth (with a water proof outer layer) and instead of safety pins you have these things called “snappis” that are a kind of a T shape.  They stretch and grab onto the cloth and keep everything together with claws.  The baby can’t remove it.  These are the cheapest so I’m going to add some to my collection.   
Snappis
Prefold


All in One: This is a cloth diaper that doesn’t need any prepping.  You just put it on the baby.  It has a waterproof outer layer and the absorbent layer is on the inside.  The downside of these is that they take longer to dry.  They would be good for babysitters who are okay with cloth diapers though.



Pocket Diapers:  You can get different sizes of pocket diapers but I like one size (OS) diapers because then I don’t have to buy as many; although I’m not sure if I can get away with this yet.  Anyways, with a pocket diaper you can use inserts which help absorb waste and you put them into the diaper pocket.  So you can put two inserts in for night time if you want.  So all you have to do is stuff the insert in the pocket and snap the diaper on the baby.  Then you take the insert out when you wash it and it takes less time to dry.




Fitted: These are similar to prefolds, only they are contoured like a diaper and either snap or Velcro closed.  Then you put a cover on them.  These are more expensive than prefolds but less expensive than pocket diapers. 




There might be more kinds but this is quite enough for now.  These are the only kinds I’m going to use.

How do you store/wash dirty cloth diapers?

Most likely you don’t want to know all of the details but I will be washing them myself.  Actually I don’t even know all of the details myself yet, I mean it’s still 5 months away.  I do know that you store dirty diapers in the trash can and just wash them every 2 or 3 days.  Breastfed baby’s diapers can all go in the wash without rinsing them in the toilet.  Once they eat solid foods there is a sprayer you can attach to the toilet so you can spray solids off instead of swishing the diaper in the toilet.  So some of it is a little gross but technically you are supposed to dump all solid waste into the toilet before throwing a diaper away anyways; it’s just that no one does it. 

I’ll have to work out a system for when we leave the house or travel.  I will write an update once we’ve been using these for a few months. 

No comments: