Friday, May 18, 2012

28 week anatomy scan


     I was so excited for this appointment!  I also had my glucose screening so I had to fast from 8:00 pm to 9:45 the next morning.  First I had to drink that orange stuff and I don’t know what everyone else is talking about but I thought it tasted just fine, like orange soda.  Perhaps I have a high tolerance for sweetness?  A few minutes after I finished, we went back to the ultrasound room.  Well first I got weighed and according to the clinics scale I have gained 20 pounds.  Now that’s counting from when I lost all the weight in the beginning of the pregnancy.  If you count from before I got pregnant, I’ve gained 12 pounds.  I really shouldn’t have weighed as much as I did before I got pregnant; it was those damn birth control pills. 

      Finally we made it to the ultrasound room; I was giddy and dizzy but what else is new.  First we saw his brain and it looked normal.  The doctor said he has a big head.  I know that all babies have big heads, but so does the doctor, so the fact that she pointed it out means something.  His head measured at about 30 weeks; I just hope it doesn’t get SO big that I would need a C-section.  I really don’t want a c-section.  For some reason it scares me more than natural childbirth.  She said he’s kind of a big baby and all of his measurements were about a week ahead.  We were told to expect more of an 8 lb baby than a 6 pounder.  So we might have to take the newborn clothes back L Or save them for the next baby because you know I’m going to have 3 or 4 boys.  We saw his heart and all 4 chambers.  Everything looks good!  Oh and nothing fell off so he’s still a boy.  Good thing we don’t have to take everything back because I got a lot of cute things.  He is currently head down.  Let’s hope he stays that way.  She said it looked like the umbilical cord was over his shoulders and reminded me to count his kicks every day.  He’s supposed to move at least 4 times in an hour.  It doesn’t take that long to count movements; in fact he is currently repeatedly kicking my side.  Hopefully he moves around and gets it away from his neck.  Note to self: don’t google it.

This is his face, it's almost a profile but I think his head is turned towards us a little.  The top of his big ass head is on the right.  If you turn your head a little, I think half his face is in the light and half is in the shade.  It's like phantom of the opera.  This is the longest caption ever.

     We got to see a 4D view and it was AMAZING.  Everyone says their baby looks like an alien but I didn’t think that at all.  I can’t wait to compare the pictures to him when he’s born.  I saw Matt in him but everyone is saying he looks like me.  He could still have the Palmer nose though, it’s something you grow into.  He stuck his tongue out all the way, it was SO cute.  We didn’t get a picture of it but we have one with the tongue partly sticking out.  He smiled too.  It looked like he was sleeping.  I might have to copy some of these so I can have one at work and stare at him all day.  I told Matt that seeing him in pictures makes him feel far away, even though he’s right here with me all the time and I can feel him.  He said he knows exactly how I feel.  I’m hoping he comes a few days early but not until after our friend’s wedding on July 28th. Babies always come when they’re told, right?

You can see either little toes or little fingers right under his chin.  Looks like toes to me.


This one might be hard to make out at first.  His face looks more blurry and his tongue is sticking out a little, his tongue is the circle in the middle of the picture.  You can just barely see his eyes and his nose.


A smile!  This is the picture that reminds me of Matt.

     Work on the townhouse was put on hold for most of the day so I got to hang out with Matt. We went to Applebee’s for lunch, showed the ultrasound pictures to our families and went to dinner at Outback for my FIL’s birthday.  The day went by way too fast.  I can’t wait until the townhouse is done so I get Matt back on Thursday evenings.

No comments: