Saturday, June 8, 2013

Minneapolis Part 2

     The next day we got up early for breakfast.  The hotel was under construction and the breakfast room was tiny.  Some chick was hogging the waffle maker so I gave up and grabbed a muffin.  I had a couple bites   left when Adrian smacked my plate and catapulted the muffin off.  Eventually Matt was nice and made a waffle for me.  After we packed we headed for the Eloise Butler Flower Garden. On the way in we saw this sign, saying that criminals were watching us, which was a little unsettling and hilarious at the same time.  We made our way down some stairs, carrying Adrian in his stroller and realized that it was closed.  Of course, we had already paid for parking so it was a total rip off.  They could at least do the courtesy of warning us before we paid.



     We decided to go to the sculpture garden instead.  It was colder than I expected and I was the one who packed.  So all I had were cardigans but thankfully I packed warm hoodies for Matt and Adrian. I appreciated a lot of the sculptures but I just don't understand some of it. Especially these benches that were in a square and they all had quotes on them; the most random collection of quotes ever.  Some of which seemed obvious, some made no sense to me, and a couple of them made me laugh.  Like this one:
After dark it is a relief to see a girl walking toward or behind you. Then you're much less likely to be assaulted.
     When I first read this I thought it was horrible and hilarious, because I assumed the artist was male and I took it to mean "at least that girl is behind me, she'll get assaulted instead" Reading them again they don't seem quite so ridiculous but I did tell my mom that I felt like I was inside Eric's head.


IF THINGS WERE A LITTLE DIFFERENT
YOU WOULD DIGEST YOURSELF
THROUGH A CUT IN YOUR MOUTH.
IT'S A RELIEF TO KNOW THERE 
ARE PROVISIONS AGAINST THIS.


     It was fun to see the spoon with the cherry statue "Spoonbridge and Cherry" in person.  I decided Adrian can be like that Travelocity gnome and we can take pictures of him in front of iconic places.  We need to travel more.
"And this is a woman what got squished" -Eric
     For lunch we tried to go to Victor's 1959 Cafe which has been featured on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives but the wait was too long and it was too cold to eat outside.  So we went to Pancho Villa Restaurant, which is Mexican food.  It was good, but the service wasn't great.  Adrian gets so restless in restaurants now that he can crawl.  Also once he gets comfortable in a place he starts yelling and shouting his war cry.  
     We stopped by Eric's apartment again and then made our way to Litchfield. We saw an antique store and stopped to check it out. I found a few barbies I used to have. It was fun to look, I wish there was something I needed.  Eric got a record cabinet and a decorativeplate, and a funny picture from the 1800s where this woman was making a goofy face.
After checking into our hotel we got to my grandpa's house and my grandma had a pile of junk food waiting. She never disappoints. Adrian warmed up really fast and was crawling all over, smiling, and playing. Grandma had a bent spoon for him to play with that he loved. Dad played with it when he was a baby. She made a delicious dinner and I gave Adrian some of the potatoes and jello salad. We stayed for awhile and left when Adrian got tired.


     The next morning Matt wouldn't wake up, so Eric and I went to breakfast without him.  The food wasn't anything special, but it was nice to hang out with Eric.  We had a pretty uneventful drive home.  I was sad because we were so close to Walnut Grove and I would love to see the Laura Ingalls Wilder museum, but we turned a few minutes before we      would have gotten there.  I told Matt I want to go one day and he had no idea who she   was.  He reluctantly agreed.  

Hopefully I didn't forget anything. We had a nice trip; I'm glad we got to go.  Blogger is giving me spacing issues today, so I apologize for how awful this looks.

No comments: